PE, Physical Activity and Sport
Our PE curriculum works in conjunction with the key principles of the Harehills Curriculum. Using the Real Legacy scheme we aim to embed fundamental physical skills as well as learning behaviours that can be applied in all aspects of learning. Harehills believes that physical education, experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is vital and unique in its contribution to a pupil’s physical and emotional development and health. The physical education curriculum aims to provide for pupils’ increasing self- confidence through an ability to manage themselves successfully in a variety of situations. A balance of individual, team, co-operative and competitive activities aims to cater for individual pupil’s needs and abilities.
The Real PE scheme of work is based on progressive learning objectives which, combined with varied and flexible teaching styles, endeavour to provide appropriate, stimulating, challenging and enjoyable learning situations for all pupils. The scheme aims to promote an understanding of the many benefits of exercise, through a balanced range of relevant activities. Physical education is considered as a vehicle to facilitate access to learning behaviours (personal, social, creative, cognitive, physical, health and fitness) that can be applied in all subjects rather than exclusively with the acquisition of motor skills and techniques.
The PE Team
|Mr Waddington||Mr Matthews||Mr Lockett||Mrs Hussain||Mrs Goodlad|
|Subject Lead||SLT Link||PE Assistant||Playground Lead||Real Leaders Coordinator|
- Staff CPD for whole teaching staff including additional training for PE lead. All teaching staff are now using the Jasmine platform.
- The leadership within PE has branched out allowing more capacity for the PE Subject Lead
- Our partnership with Leeds Rhinos Locality Officer has given an extra tier of CPD for teaching staff and will continue next year.
- Our PE Apprentice successfully completed his training and is now a full staff member allowing an extra tier of support across the school.
- Staff are starting to use Jasmine platform to assess the learning in PE.
Physical Activity Policy
Provision for PE, sport and physical activity at Harehills Primary School
PE, physical activity and sport play and important part in the life of Harehills Primary School and our children have access to at least two hours of high quality PE each week. Pupils also have access to other sport and physical activity through our extra-curricular opportunities before, during and after school.
We firmly believe that, given opportunities to take part in a range of activities – those of a competitive nature, physical activity, high quality PE provision and team based sports - children will practice the life skills of empathy, resilience, meeting a challenge and developing high aspirations for themselves.
The impact of the Sports Premium is evaluated in a number of ways including:
- Analysis of the increased numbers of children engaged in sport and physical activity.
- An increase in the variety of sports opportunities available in school.
- Pupil voice regarding children’s understanding of the importance of a healthy diet, regular exercise and their enjoyment of Physical Education in school.
- Implementation of skills gained by teaching staff on specific sporting courses.
Click the image below to see the evidence of the impact of the PE and Sport Premium at Harehills Primary School.
Evidencing the Impact of Primary PE & Sport Premium Funding details for current and previous years
|PE & Sports Funding 2020-2021||PE & Sports Funding 2021-2022||PE & Sports Funding 2022-2023|
|Total funding allocation - £21,000||Total funding allocation - £21,410||Total funding allocation - £21,318|
After school clubs
We run a range of after school clubs including football, cricket, netball. Find out more by clicking the more button. More
As part of our commitment to our development of PE, physical activity and sport provision, we have committed to using a portion of our funding to become a partner in the Leeds City Wide offer. Several of the developments above are linked to opportunities brought about by membership to the city wide offer.
We are proud to be members of the Youth Sport Trust and participate in the Active School Games.