At Harehills Primary School, we recognise the importance of ensuring every child has access to a healthy and well-balanced diet; this being one of the key areas for them to lead a healthy lifestyle. We also recognise the link between a healthy diet and children’s ability to learn. We are proud to be a healthy school where our healthy eating ethos is based on key principals from the Eatwell Guide, the School Food Standards and more broadly, the School Food Plan. The staff at our school are committed in achieving a good food culture by providing an environment that promotes healthy eating and enables our children to make informed choices about the food they eat.
At Harehills Primary School, our aim is to continually improve the health and wellbeing of children, families and the whole school community by committing to the following:
- All staff at our school have a consistent message about the principles of food and healthy eating throughout the school day whilst maximising opportunities to promote a healthy diet.
- We ensure that all food and drink served throughout the school day is in line with the Government’s mandatory standards for food in school and to make the provision and consumption of food an enjoyable and safe experience.
- Staff are passionate about educating our children about the benefits of healthy eating and through our curriculum and effective lesson planning, we aim for all children to develop lifelong skills to support them in preparing healthy meals now and in the future.
- Our dedicated catering staff, thrive on ensuring that all food offered is served in appropriate portion sizes, looks and tastes good.
- As part of our commitment to healthy eating, a whole school approach is taken, and all staff are committed in achieving a good food culture by ensuring that healthy eating messages are embedded in the school’s ethos and are consistent across all food provision and classroom activities.