Stephen Lawrence Education Standard
Harehills is really proud to have been reawarded a level 3 in the Stephen Lawrence Education Standard which encourages all schools to place a commitment to racial equality at the centre of their curriculum, policy and practice. The standard is really important to Harehills as it highlights our ongoing commitment to ensuring our curriculum is inclusive and diverse in meeting the needs of all the school’s children. It also acknowledges and celebrates the school’s good practice in promoting race equality and ethnic minority achievement in school.
The Standard was launched in 2003, evolving from a competitive award established in 2000, the award was the first of its kind in the country and was designed to:
To develop effective leadership, and a whole-school approach, which embeds race equality into the life of the school.
- To make sure that the duties of the Race Relations (Amendment) Act 2000 are fulfilled.
- To examine policies and their outcomes, and to guard against causing disadvantage for any section of our communities.
- To acknowledge and celebrate existing good practice in promoting race equality and ethnic minority achievement in schools.
- To empower children and young people to become responsible citizens of the world.
- To improve outcomes for children, young people and adults in our schools.
Benefits of the Standard
- Improved outcomes for children and young people.
- Prepares children and young people to become responsible citizens of the world, working to bring about peace.
- The clear link to school self-evaluation helps to clarify the vision and goals for race equality and school improvement.
- A clear framework and support to develop, champion, and embed race equality and community cohesion work in schools.
- Professional development, personal growth, coaching and empowerment are essential parts of the standard.
- It encourages innovation, partnerships and the engagement of all stakeholders, as well as networking across the city.
- Schools in mainly white settings benefit enormously from the framework and approach to race equality and community cohesion.
- Provides models of good practice for dissemination within the city, nationally and internationally.
For more information about the Stephen Lawrence Educational Standard, click on this link