School Council FAQ
School Council InfoSchool Council FAQ
School Council Projects
New School Council Roles
What is a School Council?
A school council is group of students who are elected to represent the views of all pupils and to improve their school.
Our School Council also includes Food Ambassadors and Anti-bullying ambassadors.
What does the School Council do?
The school council does a number of things:
- The school council meets - usually with a teacher present - to discuss and sort out problems. These may include school lunches, behaviour or ideas for fundraising events.
- Members of the school council will be responsible for carrying out the ideas that have been agreed, such as planning discos, writing newspaper articles, or meeting with catering staff.
What jobs are there?
There are several jobs or roles within the school council. The chair person, secretary and treasurer have already been announced. See the link on the right to school council roles for more information.
What makes our School Council Good?
A good school council is one that represents the views of all students and gets things done.
Many schools have councils, but they are not all successful. These are some things that make a council effective:
- Regular meetings
- Class/Form councils that meet regularly
- Good communication between representatives and their class
- Training for school council member
- Smaller groups (subcommittees) working on specific events or issues
- A bank account or budget (however small)
- Annual evaluations
Does the School Council get anything done?
Yes! We have lots of good ideas we are going to look at this year. The first one is a school council blog on this website so you can check what we have been up to recently.
Click on the School Council Blog link on the right of this page for more info.
Do you get out of lessons?
Most school council meetings take place outside of normal lesson time, after school on a Monday usually. If a school councillor has a specific job to do that can only be done in lesson time, their class teacher will make sure they catch up wqith any missed work.